Read it Again: Week of April 18, 2002

80 years ago this week. Ohio State Dean Alfred Vivian is of the opinion that eventually 25 percent of all the people in this country will live on farms and the other 75 percent will live in cities. “The 25 percent will have to supply the remainder of the population with food,” Vivian said. (Editor’s note: Today, in 2002, less than 2 percent of the U.S. population lives on farms.)

Fred Bundy of Tacoma, Belmont County, whose flock of 98 White Leghorn hens laid an average of 171.8 eggs from Nov. 1, 1920 to Nov. 1, 1921, has the highest production record in eastern Ohio. his flock was only excelled in Ohio by a flock in Clermont County with an average of 195 eggs and one in Williams County, with an average of 183.

50 years ago this week. Ohio farmers harvested 3,994,000 tons of hay from 2,680,000 acres in 1950. The nation’s hay crop totaled nearly 107 million tons, the third largest crop in the 85 years on record. The number of acres cut was close to 76 million. The 1951 hay crop is the largest in history. Acreage planted was more than 800,000 acres above the bumper 1950 crop. The most significant increase in acres and production are in the north central states.

The problem of inadequate service has been smoldering since May 1948 for patrons of the Ohio Associated Telephone Company. The company has promised that by the end of 1952 the Winona exchange in northern Columbiana County would be entirely converted to the dial system. For a monthly base rate of $4.03, Winona patrons can only phone Winona, North Georgetown, and Hanoverton. A toll of 10 cents is levied for calls to Salem.

25 years ago this week. The strike at Orrville Milk Plant has been settled and regular tankloads of milk have started unloading. Workers walked off the job April 1. The huge processing plant, owned my Milk, Inc., has been running at capacity this spring because of the increase in milk supplies. The 70 employees presented a long list of demands, which they though justified when business seemed so big.

U.S. grade standards for butter have been revised to eliminate the lowest grade, U.S. Grade C. Three butter grades, AA, A, and B now remain. Improvements in recent years in the quality of butter manufactured prompted USDA to revise the standards. Additional changes in the standards modify requirements for AA, A, and B butter to more accurately reflect flavors, one of the most important quality factors. Changes also clarify and redefine the flavor characteristics.

Comments are closed.

eNewsletter

Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox

Recent News