COLUMBUS – For all who are interested in being a part of the contests and competitions at the 2001 Ohio State Fair, its time to tie the string around the finger. Deadlines are quickly approaching.
The Ohio State Fair will run August 3-19 at the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus.
Completed entry forms for most areas of competition at the fair must be postmarked by June 20. These include:
* Livestock. Some categories include dairy cattle, beef cattle, market lambs, wool, swine, llamas, goats and canine activities. Junior classes (including junior horse show) and open classes included. Junior shows open to Ohio residents only. Open classes not restricted.
* Junior Fair. Boy Scouts, Farm Bureau, 4-H, Grange, Camp Fire, FFA, youth arts and crafts exhibition, technology education, and the Ohio Junior Horticulture Association are included in this book that is open to Ohio youth only.
* Girl Scouts. Girl Scout competitions are listed in a separate book this year. You can obtain a book from your troop leader, from the Ohio State Fair office, or download a copy from our Web site at www.ohiostatefair.com.
* Family arts and crafts. Some categories include needlework and sewing, handcrafts, quilts, applied arts and crafts, style shows, hobbies, baking, cooking and preserving. and antiques and collectibles. Open to Ohio residents ages 18 years and older only. There is also a new section for young people between the ages of 10 and 17.
Other approaching deadlines include:
* Poultry and rabbits, July 1. Junior classes and open classes included. Junior shows open to Ohio residents only. Open classes are not restricted.
* Agriculture, horticulture and floriculture, July 2. Some categories include junior youth gardens, corn, sorghum, sunflowers, beets, rhubarb, tomatoes, homemade wines, homebrewed beers, maple products, nuts, roses and dahlias. Open to Ohio residents only.
* Horse show, July 5. Some classes include Percherons, Belgians, Clydesdales, Arabians, driving horses, Hackneys, Morgans, Shetlands, Paints, mules, donkeys, Haflingers, American Saddlebreds and Roadster Ponies. Classes are not restricted.
To receive an entry form, call the Ohio State Fair at 614-644-4000.
Requests for all departments should be mailed to: Entry Forms, Ohio State Fair, 717 E. 17th Ave., Columbus, Ohio 43211.