SUNBURY, Ohio — Ohio agricultural educator and journalist Andrew L. Stevens, 74, Ostrander, formerly of Williamsport, died March 24, 2010, in Sunbury.
Mr. Stevens was born in Woodstock, Ohio, on Jan. 7, 1936, the first of seven children to Raymond H. and Ruth M. (Penn) Stevens.
He attended Ostrander and Willis high schools and graduated from the Ohio State University, eventually earning a master’s degree. He taught vocational agriculture at Richwood High School from 1958 to 1963. He left teaching to join the staff of The Ohio Farmer magazine for 28 years, serving 16 years as editor.
In 1992, he helped establish the American Small Farm magazine for which he served as editor for 18 years. In 2009, Stevens was inducted into the Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame for his more than 50 years as an agricultural editor, educator and leader.
His leadership positions included president of the Ohio Ayrshire Breeders Association, the Ohio Agricultural Council, the Ohio FFA Foundation, the FFA Alumni Association and the Ohio Agricultural Marketing Forum.
His recognitions also included induction into the Farm Science Review Hall of Fame, honorary degrees from the Ohio and National FFA, an Oscar in Agriculture for news writing, distinguished service awards from the National Soil and Water Conservation Society and the Ohio Ayrshire Breeders Association and the conservation communicator award from the League of Ohio Sportsmen.
He was preceded in death by his father and a niece, Judy Jones. He is survived by his mother; his wife, Sally Stevens; sons Terry Ray Stevens of Lancaster, Brian L. Stevens of Williamsport and Micah L. Stevens of Findlay; daughter Michelle Callahan of Stoutsville; sisters Donna Bell of Ostrander, Barbara Sherman of Galena, Phyllis J. Stevens of Johnstown and Raydene Rita of Mansfield; brothers Joseph Stevens of West, Texas, and Jim Stevens of Marion; seven grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
A memorial service was held March 27.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Ohio FFA Foundation, 717A East 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43211.