Apple Sweet and Sour Brats
- 12 bratwurst
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large apple, cored and cubed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, simmer sauerkraut with applesauce and apple juice for 20 minutes.
- In a large deep skillet, heat butter over medium heat; add onions and saute, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- The onions should be caramelized.
- Add apple pieces and saute for 5 more minutes until apples are just tender.
- Add to sauerkraut along with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill.
- Grill bratwurst directly over fire, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160.
- Remove bratwurst from grill and serve with sauerkraut.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox