- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheese (2 to 4 oz.)
- 1 baked piecrust (9-inch)
- 1/2 to 1 cup filling (see below)
- 6 EGGS
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves OR other herb
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- HEAT oven to 375°F.
- SPREAD cheese evenly in bottom of pie shell.
- TOP with filling in an even layer. BEAT eggs, milk, thyme and salt in medium bowl until blended.
- Carefully POUR over filling in pie shell.
- BAKE in center of 375°F oven until center is almost set but jiggles slightly when dish is gently shaken and knife inserted near center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- LET STAND 5 minutes.
- CUT into wedges.
- Make fillings from your favorite foods or from leftovers. Use a combination of cheese, meat, seafood or poultry and vegetables.
- Filling ingredients should be cooked, not raw.
- Pieces should be cut fairly small and drained well.
- Some classic filling combinations are Cheddar cheese and ham or sautéed onion, bacon and Swiss Gruyere cheese.