Black Bean Cakes with Tomatoes and Spicy Yogurt Sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (any color will do)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup green onion or scallion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour plus more as needed
- Canola oil or vegetable oil for cooking
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add all ingredients accept oil.
- Mix until well combined.
- Separate about 1/3 of the mixture into a small mixing bowl.
- Mash the small bowl of bean cake mix into a mush and return it to the rest of the mixture.
- Stir to completely combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- If the mixture is thin, then slowly add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until its thick enough to for a ball and stay that way.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- When the pan is up to temperature add about 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Portion out golf ball sized patties and carefully place them in the hot oiled sauté pan.
- Working in batches, cook bean cakes until crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Lightly flatten cakes with a spatula during the cooking process.
- Drain hot bean cakes on a paper towel.
- Continue cooking until all bean cake batter is done.
- Keep cakes warm in a 250° oven until ready to serve.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox
Want to share a recipe?
We are always looking for more recipes to add to our site. Submit Your Recipes