- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen meatless smoked
- 4 s (1 qt.) water
- 1 (15 1/2 oz.) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 celery, chopped
- 2 medium sliced carrots (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices (Slice sausage while still partially frozen. Remove sausage from freezer about 10 minutes before slicing or thaw slightly in microwave before slicing). Place sausage and all remaining ingredients except hot pepper sauce in Dutch oven or large saucepan. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce.
This hearty soup is low fat, cholesterol free. The Great Northern beans are a good source of dietary fiber, and tomatoes add a rich source of vitamin C. (Could substitute cannellini beans for Great Northern beans.) Makes 6 one cup servings.