Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (about 70 percent)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly butter two 9 by 13-inch pans.
- Line with parchment paper.
- Lightly butter paper.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat in microwave at half power in 30-second increments until butter is melted and chocolate melts when stirred.
- Stir until smooth.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Beat sugar and chocolate mixture until well-blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in 3 or 4 portions, mixing just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 38-42 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in pans on wire rack.
- Place cooled brownies (still in pans) in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften.
- Spread softened ice cream evenly over 1 pan of brownies.
- Return pan to freezer for about 30 minutes to allow ice cream to re-freeze.
- Be sure pan is sitting on a level surface.
- Remove remaining pan of brownies from freezer.
- Flip onto a cutting board and remove parchment paper.
- Carefully lift brownies and place on top of ice cream layer in the other pan.
- Cover the pan and return to freezer.
- Leave pan in freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Run a knife around the outside edge of the pan.
- Place a large cutting board on top of the pan, and flip the pan over onto the cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into squares.
- Serve immediately or wrap in aluminum foil and return to freezer.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox