Mary Ann Dowd submitted these two recipes for Polenta Pizza, from Betty Crocker cookbook, and The Best Pizza Dough.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups marinara or your favorite pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (cut into thin strips) or 1 teaspoon dried basil
Heat oven to 425°. Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Mix cornmeal, milk and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Cool 30 minutes. Spread on bottom of baking dish and up sides about an inch. Cook onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in oil in an 8-inch skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender. Spread marinara over cornmeal mixture. Top with cooked vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Bake 18-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted and light golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes.