- 1-1/2 pounds shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ounce chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup finely diced tart apple
- 2-1/2 cups hard cider
- Cubes of crusty bread
- Apple wedges (toss in lemon juice to prevent from turning brown)
- Place the shredded cheese in a large bowl and sprinkle with the cornstarch and dry mustard; toss to coat.
- Heat the butter in the Fondue Pot.
- Cook the shallot and apple in the butter until tender and golden.
- Add 2 cups of the hard cider and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat (if possible), and with the cider simmering, gradually add the shredded cheese, a handful at a time, while whisking with a plastic or coated whisk.
- If mixture seems too thick, whisk more of the reserved cider as needed.
- Serve with crusty bread or wedges of tart apple.