- 12 inch loaf of baguette bread
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 carrot, cut into small chunks
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, cut into small pieces
- 2 sprigs flat Italian parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
Cut baguette bread into 10 slices. In oven or on a grill, toast bread (watch carefully). Remove from oven and set aside.
In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook chickpeas, carrot, onion, celery, parsley, thyme, salt, and chicken broth. Bring just to boil, then cover, reduce heat and cook approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and drain beans and vegetables, discarding liquid and thyme stems. Transfer to food processor. While processing, drizzle some olive oil into mixture until a chunky smooth texture is attained.
To serve, spread a thick helping of chickpea mixture on each slice of baguette bread, then arrange them on serving plates. Drizzle each with olive oil and then balsamic vinegar. Makes 10 slices.