Around the Table Weekly Email
Get Around the Table in Your Inbox!
- 2 (15.8 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 fresh medium jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 2 days. Before serving, adjust seasonings to taste, adding extra vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Don?t bother with soaking and cooking beans for Classic Texas Caviar?the canned variety works well. But skip the bottled dressing, and take a little extra time to measure your own vinegar, oil and spices.