Around the Table Weekly Email
Get Around the Table in Your Inbox!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 carrots, diced
- 1 1/4 s onions, diced
- 1/2 celery, diced
- 1/3 turnip, diced
- 3/4 leek, white and light green portions, diced
- 1/2 cabbage, diced
- 8 s vegetable broth
- Sachet: 5 black peppercorns, 5 parsley stems, 1 bay leaf, 1 thyme sprig or 1/2 tsp dried thyme enclosed in a large tea ball or tied in a cheesecloth pouch
- 1/2 plum tomatoes, chopped (peeled and seeded)
- 1/2 potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1/2 fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1/2 fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper as needed
Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, celery, turnip, leek, and cabbage. saute, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and translucent, about 15 minutes. Add broth and sachet. Bring to simmer and cook 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, potatoes, lima beans, corn, and parsley. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard sachet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in heated bowls Makes 8 servings.
This soup bursts with the flavor of fresh vegetables. Feel free to experiment with different combinations of vegetables.