- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1- 8 oz can chopped clams, drained
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T. butter
Sauté celery, onions, and garlic with butter in a skillet. Add all remaining ingredients to crock-pot and pour in the sautéed mixture. Stir ingredients to blend and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
This great homemade clam chowder is made best with fresh clams rather than canned, however, for those people who do not have easy access to clams; this recipe uses canned ones and a lot of celery, as well.