Variation on a Greek classic.
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 ozs. Italian sausage, hot or sweet
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1 egg
Place zucchini halves in large saucepan and weigh them down with small plate. Cover with boiling water. Simmer over low heat 6 to 8 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and refresh zucchini under cold water. With spoon, scoop pulp from zucchini, leaving 1/4 inch border all around. Chop pulp coarsely and drain in sieve. Invert zucchini boats onto paper towels to drain. Remove and discard sausage casings, break up meat; saute in heavy skillet over moderate heat 5 minutes. Add onion, parsley, basil and marjoram; cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes; stir in zucchini pulp. Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs, egg, 2 tablespoons cheese, salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350°. Fill zucchini boats with stuffing. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until lightly browned.
Posted in Fruits and Vegetables