- cooking spray
- 4 cups day-old marbled-rye bread cubes, about 6 to 8 slices
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (5.5 oz.) cooked lean ham, cubed, divided
- 1/2 (about 2.5 oz.) sweet red, green or yellow peppers, chopped, divided
- 1/2 (about 1 oz.) green onions with tops, chopped, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Evenly coat 8x8x2-inch baking dish with spray. Line bottom of dish with 2 cups bread cubes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup each of cheese and ham and all peppers and onions. Top with remaining 2 cups bread cubes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup ham. In medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk and garlic powder until well blended. Pour evenly over layers. Cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave on full power 5 minutes. Rotate dish 1/4 turn. Microwave on 50% power, rotating dish 1/4 turn each 3 to 5 minutes, until thermometer inserted near center reads 160° and/or knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Note: Microwave cooking times are based on full power output of 1000 to 1100 watts. For an oven with lower wattage, allow more time.