- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh Key lime juice or Persian lime juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 4 pounds meaty chicken wing pieces, joints separated and tips discarded (or save tips for making stock), about 24 pieces
In small bowl, combine ketchup, lime juice, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, and sweet onion. Stir until well-combined. (Yields about 1-1/2 cups of marinade.)
Place chicken wing pieces into large freezer zip-top bag. Pour in marinade, squeeze out air, and seal. Turn bag over and over until chicken wings are coated with marinade. Refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°. Place wings on baking rack nestled inside a baking pan. Bake about 1-1/2 hours, basting with boiled marinade sauce during last half hour.
While chicken wings are cooking, bring reserved marinade to boil in small saucepan. Let boil for five minutes. Thirty minutes before wings are done, baste chicken wings with boiled marinade sauce, and continue cooking until wings are tender. Makes 8 appetizer or 3 entree servings.
Served as an appetizer or entrée, lime juice gives a delightful tang to these marinated baked chicken wings. You can also use this recipe on an outdoor barbecue. Try the marinade and sauce on other cuts of chicken (such as pre-cut chicken tenders) as well as pork.