This pie is a combination of an egg, tomato and pepper dish called piperade and a quiche.
- 1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 fresh Italian plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, coarsely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 prebaked Savory Cheese Crust
Preheat oven to 350°. In large skillet, heat olive oil over moderate heat. Add red pepper, onion and scallions. saute, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until almost all liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Stir in butter and remove from heat. Transfer to bowl and let cool 15 minutes. Add eggs to cooled vegetable mixture and blend well. Spread filling into prebaked pie shell and bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set but not dry. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm, at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Posted in Main Dishes