Around the Table Weekly Email
Get Around the Table in Your Inbox!
- 1/2 lb. lean boiled beef, chopped
- 1/2 lb. beef kidney suet, chopped
- 3 3/4 lbs. raw apples, pared and chopped
- 1/2 lb. currants
- 1 lb. seeded raisins, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 ozs. each candied orange rind, lemon rind and citron, chopped
- grated rind of 2 lemons
- 5 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cups cider
- 1 tablespoon mace
Combine all ingredients in order given, in large heavy pan; simmer very gently 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The placing of asbestos pad under kettle prevents scorching. When cold, put into jars, cover tightly and keep in cool, dry place. This will keep six months. Enough for five, 9-inch pies.
Note: This is an old recipe but good.