- 2 tsp. chopped roasted garlic (see recipe)
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 pound, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, fresh or bottled
- 2 T. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar, or as needed
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fresh or grilled pita bread, for serving
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a shallow pan or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Add eggplant and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread eggplant cubes into an even layer and bake, stirring once or twice, until very soft when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. In food
processor, combine cooled eggplant, bell pepper, basil, roasted garlic, and vinegar. Process until smooth. Taste, adding additional salt, pepper, or vinegar if needed. Scrape mixture into a serving bowl. Serve at once with pita bread, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Makes about 1 1/4 cup to serve 4-6.
With zesty flavors and low fat, this spread has become very popular with patrons at the award-winning spa called ?Mii amo? at Enchantment Resort in Sedona, Ariz. This recipe can be found in their first cookbook, A Journey of Taste.