Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick), crusts removed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Place tomatoes and peppers, cut side down, in a 15-inch by 10-inch by 1-inch baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes.
- Turn tomatoes and peppers; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until skins are blistered and blackened.
- Immediately place peppers and tomatoes in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard skins; coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions in oil until tender.
- Add the garlic, cumin and coriander; sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and peppers.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the bread, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox