This recipe won the grand prize in the first-ever French’s National Cook-Off contest. Suellen Calhoun of Des Moines, Iowa, won the prize with this recipe.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups dry polenta grain
- French’s Cheddar French Fried Onions (6 oz)
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup French’s Horseradish Mustard
1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Slowly add polenta to water, whisking continuously until all of polenta is used. Cook for 5 minutes, whisking continuously. Remove polenta from heat and stir in coarsely chopped French’s Cheddar French Fried Onions. Spoon into a 10-inch pie dish. Let stand for 15-20 minutes to firm. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar and French’s Horseradish Mustard until blended. Set aside. Turn polenta out onto a board. Carefully cut into 6 pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place polenta pieces in hot oil and brown until golden on each side, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and serve browned polenta pieces topped with spiced tomato avocado salad.
Posted in Soups and Stews