- 1 12 oz. package veggie protein crumbles (for making tacos or burritos)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded soy cheddar cheese or reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small sweet or mild onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can low sodium kidney beans, drained, and rinsed
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- 5 oz. reduced-fat tortilla chips or baked tortilla chips (crumbled lightly with hands)
- 1/2 cup fat-free or light sour cream (or substitute soy sour cream)
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
Brown veggie protein crumbles until nicely browned in large nonstick skillet. Let cool. In large bowl, toss soy crumbles with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and beans. Add sliced olives if desired. In small bowl, blend dressing ingredients well. Add crumbled chips and dressing to the rest of the salad ingredients right before serving. Serves 6.
For the vegetarian, you decide whether you want to use soy cheddar cheese and soy sour cream or the dairy versions of these products.