- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free strawberry preserves
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 1/2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 1/2 cups romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain mini shredded wheat cereal biscuits
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, strawberry preserves, and black pepper. In large bowl, toss together spinach, lettuce, hazelnuts, raisins, red onion, and shredded wheat biscuits. Drizzle salad dressing over the salad, and toss gently to combine. Serve topped with sliced avocado.
This salad has it all: great taste, protein, fiber, good fats and beautiful appearance. Vegan friendly, it?s easy to assemble and you can play with proportions of ingredients. Give the shredded wheat a chance — you might never want croutons on a salad again!