Strawberry and White Chocolate Buttercream Cake
- 1/2 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® butter recipe yellow cake mix (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
Filling and Topping:
- 8 oz white chocolate baking bars or squares, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces, softened
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh whole strawberries, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).
- Generously spray bottom and side of 8- or 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, 3 tablespoons butter, the almond extract and egg with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place white chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in medium metal bowl.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium heat just to boiling.
- Immediately pour hot cream over white chocolate and butter.
- Let stand about 5 minutes or until mixture is melted and smooth when stirred.
- Let stand until room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Beat cooled white chocolate mixture on high speed until fluffy.
- 6 Cut cake horizontally in half, using long, sharp knife.
- On serving plate, place 1 layer, cut side up.
- Spread with 1/2 of the filling; top with 1/2 of the strawberries.
- Add remaining cake layer, cut side down.
- Spread remaining filling over top of cake; top with remaining strawberries.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox