- 2 cans (15 oz each) black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian dressing
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cucumber, sliced
Directions: In a medium bowl combine black-eyed peas, onions and peppers, corn, tomatoes, and garlic. Toss lightly. Add Italian dressing, mix lightly. Sprinkle the top of the salad with lemon pepper seasoning, if you like. Cover.
Refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, place 1 1/2 cups of black-eyed pea salad on top of each plate of torn lettuce. Add sliced cucumbers to the side. Serve. This salad should be placed in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or more before serving to mix the flavors throughout the salad.
Univ. of Georgia Cooperative Extension