Balsamic Roasted Tomato-Spinach-Bacon Pie
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 9 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or pure olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (4 ounces), softened
- 1 box (9 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 or 3 dashes ground red pepper (cayenne), if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie; flute edge.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Line 15 by 10-inch pan (with sides) with foil.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in single layer in pan.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with garlic, Italian seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle with vinegar and oil.
- Roast 25 to 30 minutes or until tomatoes are very tender.
- Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk.
- Add mascarpone cheese; beat until well blended.
- Stir in spinach, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Spread mixture evenly in partially baked crust.
- Arrange tomatoes, overlapping slightly, in single layer on spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 375° 25 to 35 minutes, covering edge of crust with strips of foil after 10 to 15 minutes, until filling is set in center and crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox
Want to share a recipe?
We are always looking for more recipes to add to our site. Submit Your Recipes