Taxicab Yellow Tomato Soup With Fresh Basil Pesto
- 8 pounds yellow heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 to 2 cups prepared vegetable stock, as needed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Gently squeeze the halved tomatoes in your hand to remove excess seeds.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and toss with the olive oil and salt.
- Arrange the tomatoes, cut side down, in a single layer on rimmed sheet pans.
- Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until the skins are just browning and the juices are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, cool and lift off the skins.
- In batches, add the tomatoes with their juice to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the blended tomatoes through a strainer into a clean pot.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon to push the liquid through the strainer and discard any remaining skins.
- The roasted tomatoes give off so much juice that the puree should not be too thick. If it is, add the stock 1/2 cup at a time to achieve the desired consistency.
- To make the pesto, process the basil in a food processor while drizzling in the olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water.
- Taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Reheat the soup slowly over medium-low heat.
- Serve in a boldly colored soup bowl with a dollop of the pesto.
- This soup can be eaten at room temperature, chilled or warmed.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox
Want to share a recipe?
We are always looking for more recipes to add to our site. Submit Your Recipes