- Yield: About 9 Half-Pint Jars:
- 8 quarts peeled, cored chopped tomatoes (about 4 dozen large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 3)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon canning or pickling salt
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
Procedure: Hot Pack — Combine first four ingredients and cook slowly 1 hour. Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic clove, if desired. Continue cooking slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove garlic clove and bay leaves. Pour boiling hot paste into hot half pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a boiling water canner.
Article printed from Farm and Dairy Recipes: http://www.farmanddairy.com/recipes
URL to article: http://www.farmanddairy.com/recipes/miscellaneous/tomato-paste
Click here to print.