Around the Table Weekly Email
Get Around the Table in Your Inbox!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch green onions, (about 6 to 8) thinly sliced, with about 2 to 3 inches of green
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. white asparagus, peeled and cut in 1/2- to 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups diced potato (Yukon gold or red-skinned, peeled)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 scant teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fresh chopped parsley, optional
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add green onions and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add asparagus, potato, chicken broth, Creole seasoning, bay leaf, thyme, and sugar; bring to boil. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are very tender. Carefully blend hot mixture in small batches. Add cream and nutmeg, to taste; heat through. If desired, sprinkle with a little fresh parsley. Serves 4 to 6.