- Smoked trout (16 oz, plain preferred) broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups (or more) water
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies
- 2 cans (14 3/4 oz) cream-style corn
- 1 package (16 oz) frozen corn
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional, for garnish)
Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice to pot; cook 2 minutes. Combine 2 cups water and chipotle chilies in blender and puree. Mix puree and cream-style corn into vegetables in pot. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add smoked trout, frozen corn, cream and oregano; simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Recipe provided by Ohio Aquaculture Association.