- 4 New York strip steaks or other favorite steak, about 1 inches thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, coarsely ground or to taste
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter, optional
- chopped parsley, optional
Allow meat to come to room temperature about 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
Just before grilling, brush both sides of the steaks with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
Place steaks directly over medium high heat for about five minutes. Turn steaks and continue cooking for about five more minutes for medium rare. Remove steaks from the grill and allow to rest at least five minutes but no longer than 10 minutes before serving. Top steaks with butter and parsley, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Taming the Flame: Secrets for Hot-and-Quick Grilling and Low-and-Slow BBQ by Elizabeth Karmel (John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.).