PITTSBURGH — Historic Harmony, the historical society and preservation advocate that operates the Harmony Museum, has donated preservation easements to Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation to ensure preservation of eight historic properties.
The sites are in Harmony Borough and adjacent Jackson Township in what recent census statistics indicate is the fastest growing area of Butler County.
Three of them — the main Harmony Museum building at 218 Mercer St. (1809, with 1816 addition), Wagner House museum annex at 222 Mercer St. (c. 1807-1812) and Harmony Society Cemetery at 831 Edmond St. (1805-1815, with 1869 stone wall and gate) — are within the Harmony National Historic Landmark District.
Eligible for listing
The Harmony Society-Ziegler-Wise Barn at 303 Mercer Road (1805, with c.1850 modification) is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places; it and the likely Harmony Society log house museum annex at 245 Mercer St. are within the extensive Secular Harmony Historic District in the borough and township that is eligible for National Register listing.
The Harmony Society’s Vineyard Hill at 1 Evergreen Mill Road (1807-1814) that includes Rapp’s Seat carved into a rock outcrop, the Mennonite Meetinghouse and Cemetery at 114 Wise Road (1825 and 1815, respectively) and the Bishop John Boyer House at 295 Perry Highway (1816) are the other historically significant properties protected by the easements.
For more information visit www.phlf.org.