- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold shortening or unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into pieces
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles pea-size crumbs.
- Add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, tossing dough with fork after each addition. Add enough water so that dough comes together. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface from center to edges into a 14-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. For easier rolling without additional flour, place dough between 2 sheets of wax paper before rolling.
- Carefully place pie crust on rolling pin and transfer to 9-inch deep dish pie pan. If using wax paper, carefully peel back 1 sheet of wax paper. Flip crust onto pie pan. Carefully peel off remaining wax paper. Gently press the pie crust onto bottom and up sides of pan. Trim pie crust so that it extends 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie pan. (Reserve any remaining dough to make pie crust decorations, if desired.) Fold under excess pie crust. Flute the edges of the pie crust or press with tines of a fork.