- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 4 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth or homemade turkey broth
- 3 – 15 oz cans white hominy, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 7 cups shredded, cooked turkey
- ½ teaspoon black pepper and salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro Lime wedges (optional)
- Pour olive oil into a 5-quart Dutch oven and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions.
- Cook for about two minutes, stirring often.
- Do not brown.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder and oregano.
- Cook stirring constantly until combined.
- Add four cups water, broth, hominy and carrots.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in shredded turkey and black pepper.
- Season with about one teaspoon salt.
- Cook until heated, about five minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add cilantro and stir. Serve hot with lime wedges and warmed corn tortillas.
Serves 12 meal-size portions, recipe can be reduced to half.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!