- 1/2 cup dry split peas
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup alphabet macaroni or other small macaroni (can be put in a plastic sandwich bag to make it easier for the recipient to get out of jar)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3 qts. water
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
In a 1-1/2-pint jar, layer the first eight ingredients in the order listed. Seal tightly.
Yield: 1 batch.
Instructions to attach to jar:
Friendship Soup Mix
To prepare soup: Carefully remove macaroni from top of jar and set aside. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add reserved macaroni; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until macaroni, peas, lentils and barley are tender.
Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts)