Around the Table Weekly Email
Get Around the Table in Your Inbox!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound lamb, cubed
- 1 pound pork loin, cubed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (12 oz) cola
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place diced onion in skillet; season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Mix in garlic. Cook and stir until tender. Mix in lamb and pork; cook until evenly browned. Reduce heat to low and pour in beef broth. Simmer 30 minutes. Transfer the skillet mixture to large pot. Mix in carrots, turnip, parsnips, red, yellow and green bell peppers, onion (cut into chunks) and celery. Pour in cola. Cover; cook 2 hours over low heat. Remove 1/2 cup stew liquid. Stir potatoes into pot; continue cooking 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. About 15 minutes before serving, mix cornstarch into reserved liquid. Stir into stew to thicken.
This recipe was provided by the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.