ZANESVILLE, Ohio — The 2008 Ohio Tree Farm Tour is slated for 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 20. The event will take place at the tree farm of Joe Mattingly, Ohio’s 2008 Tree Farmer of the Year.
Mattingly’s farm is located approximately 3 miles north of Zanesville off State Route 60 (Frazeysburg Road). Signs will be posted at Carnation Road and Frazeysburg Road, which is where the general public will enter the farm.
Events include three different tours — one by wagon and two walking tours. The Conservation Wagon tour will highlight various soil and water conservation practices Mattingly has installed over the years. Walking tours will showcase forest management and wildlife management on the farm.
Multiple tours are available throughout the day.
Lots to do
Additional features include:
– Barn bat program for children
– Pond seining and electro-shocking demonstration
– Mountain Man Dan (Dan Jennings) in his authentic teepee
– Simon Kenton will give a presentation on how early settlers coped with the new world
– Hands-on log grading will be offered by Bill Clagett of the Ohio Stave Company
– Archery trailer
– Water safety and canoeing
– Pine management
– Basic chain saw safety and maintenance
– Saw and logging equipment
– Chain saw art
– Display of traps and furs
The Muskingum County Master Gardeners will distribute free White Pine seedlings, and demonstrate the proper planting of containerized trees and shrubs.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!