Baked Caramel Apple French Toast
- 1 loaf gluten free bread, about 14-16 ounces, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal + ¾ c. warm water mixed together
- 1 3/4 cup favorite milk
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- caramel apple topping
- 1/3 cup margarine, chilled
- 4 gluten-free Apple cereal bars, quartered
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 medjool dates, pitted (alternatively use 3 T. packed brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- Put the torn bread into a large bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, flax meal and warm water mixture (this is your “egg”), milk, tapioca starch, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Pour over the bread.
- Using your hands, gently turn the bread to coat every pieces with the pumpkin mixture. Pour into a rectangular baker or a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Make the caramel apple topping by adding all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulsing until it is crumbly. Sprinkle over the bread mixture and then cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with powdered sugar sprinkled on top and additional maple syrup.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!