Black Forest Passover Brownies
Chocolate with cherry preserves make yummy black forest brownies. They are made with matzoh flour with eggs for leavening, so they are kosher for Passover.
Yield: Makes 24 to 48 bars, depending on cut size.
Prep time:15 minutes
Cooking time:35 minutes
Total time:50 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 unsweetened baking chocolate squares (4 oz.)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup matzoh cake flour
- 3/4 cup cherry preserves
- 2 teaspoons Kirsch liqueur (optional)
- Powdered sugar (see note)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick foil.
- Gently melt shortening and unsweetened chocolate squares in a double-boiler or microwave. Let cool away from heat for 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and salt on medium speed until thick. Blend in chocolate and vanilla until combined, then beat in matzoh cake flour. Pour into pan.
- Combine cherry preserves with Kirsch liqueur, if using. Drop spoonfuls of cherry preserves evenly over top of brownie batter. Do not stir in.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until center is set. Let cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
Note: To be kosher for Passover, do not use confectioners? sugar, which includes cornstarch. You can make pure powdered sugar by placing sugar in a food processor and processing into a powder.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!