- 1 package (15 1/4 to 18 1/4 ounces) German chocolate cake mix with pudding
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons McCormick® Black Food Color
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Jack-O-Lantern Orange Filling:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners? sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Red Food Color
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Yellow Food Color
For the Cookies-
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat cake mix, water, cocoa powder, oil, food color, eggs and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping sides of bowl frequently.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter, 2 inches apart, onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. (Cookies will spread so avoid crowding them on baking sheet.)
- Bake 8 minutes or until cookies are puffed and spring back when touched, turning baking sheets halfway through baking.
- Cool on baking sheets 1 minute.
- Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
For the Orange Filling-
- Beat all ingredients in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- To assemble the Whoopie Pies, place 1 tablespoon filling on flat side of 1 cookie.
- Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to spread the filling.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
Frankenstein Green Filling: Use pure lemon extract in place of the orange extract and 1/4 teaspoon Neon Green McCormick® Assorted NEON! Food Colors and Egg Dye in place of the yellow and red food color.
Phantom Purple Filling: Use 1 teaspoon raspberry extract in place of the orange extract and 1/2 teaspoon Neon Purple and 15 drops Neon Blue McCormick® Assorted NEON! Food Colors and Egg Dye in place of the yellow and red food color.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!