Submitted by: Lynne Almasy, Week Three Reader’s Kitchen 2016 Winner
- 4 quarts sliced pickling cucumbers
- 8 medium white onions sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. mustard seed
- 1-1/2 tsp. tumeric
- 1-1/2 tsp. celery seed
- In a large bowl combine first 4 ingredients. Stir in one tray of ice. Let stand 3 hours.
- Drain well. Remove garlic.
- In a large pot combine remaining ingredients. Add drained mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Pack pickles and liquid into hot pint jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Wipe rims and seal with lids.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.