- 1 pound Ziti, uncooked Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15-oz. container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbsp.dried)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside in large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes.
- Place ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, 2 tbsp. of the Parmesan cheese and milk in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Add the tomato and cheese mixtures, parsley, basil and pepper to the cooked pasta. Toss well to combine.
- Spray a 2 1/2 to 3 quart (an 8 or 9 x 12-inch oblong dish works well) baking dish with vegetable spray. Spoon the pasta mixture into the dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!