- 4 cups fresh green beans (trimmed)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 2 cups mushrooms (diced)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 16 whole wheat crackers
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blanch the green beans in boiling water for about 4 minutes for crisper beans or longer for a softer texture. Then plunge in ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Place diced onions and mushrooms in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 2.5 minutes on high to soften. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir in flour with a whisk and cook for about 1 minute (continuously whisking).
- Whisk in the milk and cook over low heat until you have a thick white sauce.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Stir the drained green beans, onions, and mushrooms into the white sauce (including any liquid with the onions and mushrooms).
- Pour into a casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Crush the crackers and toss cracker crumbs with olive oil and onion powder. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350˚F for about 30 minutes or until crackers are golden brown.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!