- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound chicken (thawed, cut up, and skin removed)
- 4 cups water
- 6 small red potatoes (chopped, or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium sliced potatoes)
- 1/4 cup white rice, or brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (or paprika)
- 1 cup peas (or 1/2 can, about 8 ounces, low-sodium green peas)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne or jalaneño chilies (diced, optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsey or cilantro (optional)
- In a large pot, brown onion and garlic in oil over medium to high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken to pot and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, potatoes, rice, and chili powder to pot.
- Bring pot to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Lower heat and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir pot every 10 minutes.
- Add peas and cook for about 8 minutes. If using cayenne or jalapeño chilies, add that too. Mix well.
- Remove pot from heat. If using parsley or cilantro, add that now. 8. Mix well and cover for 5 minutes. Serve hot.