- 10-12 mini tricolored peppers (red, orange, yellow)
- Grape-seed oil or neutral oil of your choice for cooking
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups firm tofu, crumbled, or browned ground turkey
- 1/4 cup almond milk, or 3 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Fresh basil leaves for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the ends off the peppers and scoop out the insides. Reserve the tops with stems.
- In a frying pan over medium-low heat, saute the onions in a bit of oil until golden, stirring often.
- Add the zucchini and garlic, and cook together until all is softened, adding more oil if needed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, place tofu or cooked ground turkey. Add the zucchini mixture, milk, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, paprika, black pepper and cayenne. Pulse to combine ingredients, but don’t over mix, as texture from the onions and zucchini is great.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture, place on baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and rub oil on all sides of the peppers. Sprinkle with extra seasonings as desired.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, carefully turning peppers over once halfway through baking. Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!