- 8 cups sliced Georgia peaches
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- Vanilla ice cream
- Combine peaches, sugar, flour and nutmeg in a Dutch oven; set aside to allow syrup to form (approx. 15 minutes).
- Bring peach mixture to a boil: reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes or until peaches are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and margarine.
- Roll half of pastry to 1/8” thickness: cut into a circle to fit a two-quart baking dish. Spoon half of mixture into lightly buttered baking dish; top with pastry.
- Bake at 475°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spoon remaining peach mixture over baked pastry.
- Roll remaining pastry to 1/8” thickness and cut into 1” strips; arrange in lattice design over peaches.
- Bake an additional 15-20 minutes until browned.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.