Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons 2 percent milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 to 14 caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls.
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg white.
- Place pecans in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip balls in egg white, then in pecans, patting to help pecans adhere.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth.
- Fill each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over cookies; let stand until set.
- Store in an airtight container.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox