Spiced Chocolate Zucchini Cake – Submitted by D. Flinner, of Canton, Ohio.
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream margarine, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time; mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in zucchini and vanilla; mix well alternately adding dry ingredients with milk beginning and ending with flow mixture using 1/3 of milk at a time.
- Beat until well blended after each addition.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with a Cream Cheese Frosting.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox