Notify FSA before breaking ground


Hello Again,

With the above normal temperatures in April, a lot of producers are getting a jump on planting.

Breaking ground

Don’t forget, agricultural producers are reminded to consult with FSA and NRCS before breaking out new ground for production purposes. Doing so without prior authorization may put a producer’s federal farm program benefits in jeopardy.

This is especially true for land that must meet Highly Erodible Land (HEL) and Wetland Conservation (WC) provisions.

Producers with HEL determined soils are required to apply tillage, crop residue and rotational requirements as specified in their conservation plan.

Producers should notify FSA as the first point of contact prior to conducting land clearing or drainage type projects to ensure the proposed actions meet compliance criteria, such as clearing any trees to create new cropland.


Landowners and operators should complete the form AD-1026 — Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Certification — to identify the proposed action and allow FSA to determine whether a referral to Natural Resources Conservation Service is necessary.

That’s all for now,

FSA Andy

Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox

Next step: Check your inbox to confirm your subscription.



We are glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment policy.

Receive emails as this discussion progresses.